The 'Merlin Rocket class' was created by the merger of two previously separate classes. The 'Merlin' was originally designed in 1945/6 by Jack Holt as a result of discussions among and commissioning by a syndicate of members, including Holt, of Ranelagh Sailing Club, on the Thames in London. The 'Rocket' class was formed in 1949 when a group of Tynemouth sailors commissioned Wyche & Coppock of Nottingham, also known for their building of the Norfolk Punt, to design a half deck 14ft. dinghy which had more sail area, narrower decks and was lighter than the Merlin. After much debate the two classes merged in April, 1951 to form the 'Merlin Rocket Class'.